DIPLOMA IN COMPUTER APPLICATION
Introduction to Computer
• History of development of computers
• Computer system concepts
• Capabilities and limitations
• Generations of computers.
• Basic components of a computer system – Control Unit, ALU, I/ O Devices,
memory – RAM, ROM, EPROM, PROM, Flash Memory and other types of memory.
• Storage fundamentals – Primary Vs Secondary
• Data Storage and Retrieval methods – Sequential, Direct and Index Sequential.
• Various Storage Devices – Magnetic Tape, Magnetic Disks, Cartridge Tape, Data Drives, Hard Disk Drives,
Floppy (Winchester Disk), Disks, Optical Disks, CD, VCD, CD-R, CD-RW, Zip Drive, DVD, SVCD.
• Types of Software – System software, Application software, Utility Software, Demoware, Shareware, Freeware, Firmware, Free Software.
• Operating Systems – Functions, Types – Batch Processing, Single User, Multi User, Multiprogramming, Multi-Tasking.
• Programming languages – Machine, Assembly, High Level, 4 GL.
• Data representation in computers.
• Number System of computers – Binary, Octal, Hexa Decimal – Representation & their conversion.
• Coding System – ASCII, BCD, and EBCDIC etc.
• Computer Viruses
Disk Operating System (DOS)
• Introduction, History & Versions of DOS
• Physical structure of disk, drive name, FAT, file & directory structure and naming rules, booting process, DOS system files.
Basic DOS Commands
• Internal – DIR, MD, CD, RD, Copy, DEL, REN, VOL, DATE, TIME, CLS, PATH, TYPE etc.
• External – CHKDSK, PRINT, DISKCOPY, DOSKEY, MOVE, LABEL, FORMAT, SORT, FDISK, BACKUP, EDIT, MODE, ATTRIB, HELP, SYS etc.
• Executable V/s Non executable files in DOS.
• Windows concepts, features, windows structure, desktop, taskbar, start menu, my computer, Recycle Bin.
• Windows Accessories – Calculator, Notepad, Paint, WordPad, Character map.
• Windows Explorer – Creating folders and other Explorer facilities.
• Entertainment – CD Player, DVD Player, Media Player, Sound Recorder, Volume Control.
Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, Power Point)2007
Word Processing: MS Word 2007
• Introduction to Word Processing
• Introduction to MS Word: features, Creating, Saving and Opening documents in Word, Interface, Toolbars, Ruler, Menus, Keyboard Shortcut.
• Editing a Document – Moving, Scrolling in a document, Opening Multi document windows, Editing Text – Selecting, Inserting, deleting, moving text.
• Previewing documents, Printing documents – Print a document from the standard toolbar, Print a document from the menu, shrinking a document to fit a page, Reduce the number of pages by one.
• Formatting Documents: Paragraph formats, Aligning Text and Paragraph, Borders and Shading, Headers and Footers, Multiple Columns.
Worksheet: MS Excel 2007
• Worksheet basics
• Creating worksheet, entering data into worksheet, heading information, data, text, dates, Cell formatting values, saving & protecting worksheet.
• Opening and moving around in an existing worksheet
• Toolbars and Menus, keyboard shortcuts 5
• Working with single and multiple workbook – coping, renaming, moving, adding and deleting, coping entries and moving between workbooks
• Working with formulas & cell referencing. - Autosum - Coping formulas - Absolute & Relative addressing
• Working with ranges – creating, editing and selecting ranges, sorting.
• Formatting of worksheet – Auto format, changing – alignment, character styles, column width, date format, borders &colours, currency signs.
• Previewing & Printing worksheet – Page setting, Print titles, Adjusting margins, Page break, headers and footers.
• Graphs and charts – using wizards, various charts type, formatting grid lines & legends, previewing & printing charts.
MS Power Point 2007
• Features and various versions
• Creating presentation using Slide master and template in various colour scheme
• Working with different views and menus of power point
• Working with slides – Make new slide, move, copy, delete, duplicate, lay outing of slide, zoom in or out of a slide.
• Editing and formatting text: Alignment, editing, inserting, deleting, selecting, formatting of text, find and replace text.
• Bullets, footer, paragraph formatting, spell checking. • Printing presentation – Print slides, notes, handouts and outlines.
• Inserting Objects – Drawing and inserting objects using Clip Art's pictures and charts.
• Custom Animation – slide transition effects and other animation effects.
• Presenting the show – making stand alone presentation.
C Language :Introduction
• C Character Set , Constants, Variables and Key words
Decision and Control Structure
• if ,if-elses, forms of if-elses statement
• Operator • Types of Loops
• Case and Switch
Arrays and Functions
• C Functions – Call by values and Call by reference